Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Finding The Cook Within

I never in my life thought I could make homemade chicken an dumplings and they actually taste good. Well, I did and it is all thanks to Rocks In My Dryer! I got this great recipe from her blog. So easy and so good. My husband almost eat himself sick.

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

3 tbsp Crisco (I think this is what makes these so good!)

3/4 cup buttermilk

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
2 cups celery

1 cup onion

at least 4 cups chicken broth
Bring broth to a broil; drop in chicken, celery and onion.  In a separate bowl, mix together first six ingredients.  Roll dough flat, slice into whatever size/shape you prefer (I like half-inch-by-half-inch squares).  Drop into boiling broth.  Allow to simmer until dough is cooked through, usually about 15-20 minutes.

I did not add the onion or the celery just because I wanted my kids to eat it. Also after I had broil the chicken for a little while I needed to add some water because it was broiling down and I did not have anymore broth. It still tasted very good. Happy cooking :)

No comments: